Thursday, February 3, 2011

Glamorous, charming and witty

My old friend Deborah McKinlay’s debut novel The View From Here has just been published in the UK by Soho Press. It says here that she is “glamorous, charming and witty”, which sounds like the Deborah I remember. Like Rachel Hunter, she is from Glenfield.

Her previous books include Love Lies (published in Brazil, Bulgaria, China, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Sweden and Taiwan), Sex Secrets, Bosom Buddies, Getting Gorgeous and Man Handling. You get the idea. For a while she had an advice column in Esquire, and she also wrote for Vogue and Cosmopolitan. Before that, in Auckland, she was a dancer on The Billy T James Show: she used to refer to the troupe as Tits ’n’ Teeth.

Deb lives in England now but I am told that the book is available here via Random House. I am very keen to read it so I am now heading into Cambridge to Wrights Bookshop to get a copy. In the unlikely event that  they don’t have it in stock I fear I shall cause a scene. I have been waiting about 30 years for this.

1 comment:

Denis said...

I notice this woman shares an agent with Billy Bunter, a school days idol of mine. This is sufficient reason to seek out her book.