Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kingfish

Our neighbour over the back fence, the one who reckons he’s got his fishing costs down to about a K per kg, came over this afternoon with some kingfish he caught on Sunday. Today is Tuesday. How fresh is that?

The kingfish was about 18 kg, he said, so not much smaller than my smaller child, and he’d caught it about 18 miles out. He said it was a wild ride – stormy weather – but “invigorating”. I don’t know if you have ever been out in a boat off the Bay of Plenty in these conditions but trust me, it is terrifying.

He said I should make sashimi with it, if I had any wasabi and soy sauce. Well, d’oh. But what were the other options? I consulted Al Brown’s Go Fish which has never failed me and found a recipe for Kingfish Carpaccio with Crisp Capers which I am about to prepare. Sadly, my wife is away being famous so I have to eat this on my own.  I can’t help it if I’m lucky.

So here is Bob Dylan in a keffiyah, with “Idiot Wind”:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the funniest Dylan songs, and one of the worst renditions. Here is the soundtrack to your meal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmFQu_8u1TU

Stephen Stratford said...

I did think of using that one. "Good Old Boys" gets played a lot around here.